Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Grandma's Coral Necklace


Grandma had this necklace that she wore when I was growing up. She had lots of other jewelry, but this was one of her favorite pieces. She probably wore it once a week.  It was made of coral beads carved into roses. Maybe her love of roses and foreign things influenced her love for this necklace:)

A few months ago, I was thinking about this necklace and I tried to find it when I went home, but it wasn't in Grandma's jewelry drawer.  After looking for a while and asking my parents about it, we gave up and assumed it had somehow just gotten lost over the last few years.

Grandma passed away a few weeks ago.  The last time I went up to my house in Salt Lake to visit my family, Dad pulled me into his room to give me a couple of Grandma's necklaces that he'd found. One was a white moonstone necklace, and one was the carved coral necklace. I was so happy!  I thought it was gone forever.  I wore it on Sunday and I felt really close to her. I'm so glad that I'll be able to keep this special memento that meant so much to her, and now means so much to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment