Friday, February 22, 2013

World Religion



Ai!!!! I am so happy.  I randomly read a scripture about two months ago and then I kept thinking about it all day and I couldn't find where it was again:(  I was sitting in institute today and we were reading the scripture right above it and I happened to glance at my friends phone and read it:

Alma 29:For behold, the Lord doth agrant unto ball nations, of their own nation and ctongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that hedseeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true. 
LDS.org

I loooove this scripture.  I took World Religion at BYU with Dr. Keller and he really stressed this point; that God gives truth to all His children.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the fullness of the restored gospel, meaning the priesthood authority to perform ordinances like baptism and make eternal covenants, like marriage.  

Sometimes we get into the bad habit of saying we're the only true church.  This is a pretty offensive way to persuade people to come unto Christ.  This scripture has the right perspective:  that God gives to every nation His word, in His wisdom, all that He seeth fit that they should have, in a way that is just and true.  

What does that mean?  It means Buddah was inspired by the same God who inspired Joseph Smith.  If you think that is a bold claim, try reading some of the Buddah's teachings and see if the Holy Ghost doesn't testify that they are true.  Try looking at the Koran.  Sikhism.  They are all what God instructed righteous people to do in the proper time and place.  Of course, we know there will be a time when the fullness of the gospel has sounded in every ear, and as people receive fullness of the gospel, they receive the blessings of making and keeping sacred covenants.

I've been thinking a lot lately about living according to what you know.  I think that people who have grown up strong in the church often don't subconsciously realize that not everyone has the same understanding of eternal truths.  Yes, everyone knows the basics of morality, but to really understand them is a different story.  

Sometimes it may seem like people are amoral, when in fact, they live more strictly by their moral code than you live by yours.  There are so many stories of people who get converted to the gospel and start living impeccably righteous lives.  In fact, maybe they always did what they thought was right or okay, and now they just have more knowledge about what exactly is right and okay.

Think about that before you judge someone. There is no way to be a flawless person in this life, but there are a million ways to be a good person:)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I COMPLETELY AGREE . . . but I've never been able to put my thoughts into words before. Wow, you are just so great, and I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete